الساعة الآن 09:47 PM

منتديات ياكويت.

للتسجيل إضغط هنا

إضافة رد

Ms.Ohuod

:: عضو متقدم ::

Teaching Tip 9: Dealing with Vocabulary Queries

How to avoid doing it:
1. Get the students to read the exercise completely before starting to actually do anything. They
can underline the words they don’t know, or (more positively) underline the words they do know.

2. When a student asks you to explain the meaning of a word, don’t. Ask the other students if
anyone can explain it.

3. You could put the students in pairs or small groups and get them to explain the words they don’t
know to each other. This sounds daft but it’s quite logical really - the words Gianni is having
difficulty with won’t necessarily be the same ones that Marco is struggling with. (Beware of the
students’ tendency to translate the words. See TT 17 for info on Translating).

4. It’s a good idea to get the students to try to guess the meaning of the word from the context it’s in.
(See TT6 for further information on ‘deducing meaning from context’).

5. Get the students to look the word up in a (preferably English to English a.k.a. monolingual)
dictionary, should such a thing be available (see TT20 for further information about dictionaries).

Why to avoid doing it:
1. You are not a dictionary. You don’t even look like one, do you?.

2. There’s a world of difference between telling someone something (spoon-feeding students
who soon get into the habit of switching off, being passive, letting the teacher do all the work
for them and not bothering to try to remember a single thing) and teaching someone something
(creating and environment and a set of circumstances in which someone can actively learn,
practise new skills, and develop confidence in his/her own abilities).

3. One day, out there in the big wide world, the students will be faced with situations in which they
will not know all the words and you won’t be there to help them. Then what will they do? (With
any luck they will be able to fall back on all the useful skills you’ve taught them in class).

Explaining new vocabulary
As a last resort, give the students an explanation of the new word or phrase in English. It’s a good idea to
give them an example sentence or two containing the word or phrase so that they can see how to use it.
You may find it useful to demonstrate or mime the word to convey it’s meaning quickly. Or maybe a quick
line-drawing (of the ‘stick-man’ type) would convey the meaning more quickly? Sometimes a synonym
(similar word) is useful (e.g. wealthy = rich) or an opposite (e.g. wealthy = the opposite of poor).

Extra info:
If a student still thinks I should explain all the new words to him I refuse and explain like this:
If you give a starving man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach him how to fish he can
feed himself for life. (I explain ‘starving’ as ‘very, very, very hungry).
In this case the ‘fish’ is the explanation of a word, given by you. The ‘how to fish’ is the ability
to guess words from context, the confidence to ask a peer (a classmate, a colleague etc.) if
they know the meaning, and the ability to use a dictionary.
TEFL.NET/EnglishClub.com

Ms.Ohuod

Teaching Tip 10: Monitoring

How:
1. While the students are doing an activity you walk slowly round the classroom and listen to their
conversations.

2. You can sit down too, if there are enough chairs, but try to sit in the background a bit or the
students will direct their conversation to you.

3. Look at one pair whilst actually listening to a different pair nearby. Correct the pair nearby (which
will probably make them jump because they thought you were listening to the pair you were
looking at) just to keep everyone on their toes - they never know when you’re listening to them
so they can’t ever switch off or revert to their mother-tongue.

4. Be ready to massage any flagging conversations back into life, to stop students monopolising
conversations, to stop students falling out with each other and to offer encouragement and praise
where appropriate. Listen and supervise.

5. Take a piece of paper and a pen with you on your travels round the classroom so that you can
jot down any howlers (which can then be dealt with at the end - see TT11 for further explanation).

Why:
1. If you spend your life in the classroom sitting down, this is your chance to stop numb-bum
syndrome - get up and wander round. If you spend your life in the classroom on your feet,
this is your chance to put your feet up (not literally , maybe, though I did when I was pregnant!)
- sit down to listen to the students.

2. Monitoring gives you the opportunity to hear how the students are coping with the activity and
to make notes about pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar points that are causing difficulty. I
see the role as one of listener/supervisor/facilitator/encourager - not as one of error corrector.

Extra info:
Although it’s a good idea to indicate that you’re actually listening to the students (even to the
point of feigning interest in what they are saying) I wouldn’t suggest crouching down to table
height in order to listen to the students - it looks silly.
Apparently, (according to books on body language) tipping your head to one side gives the
impression that you are listening avidly to someone so if you were thinking of switching off and
not listening to your students at all (..me..??..never!!), tip your head to one side first and they’ll
be none the wiser!
I generally don’t correct mistakes very much when I’m monitoring - I jot them down and do a bit
of error correction later because if I get caught up correcting one student’s mistakes during the
activity I can’t monitor the other students properly and by the time I get back to monitoring
I find that everyone has reverted happily to their mother tongue.
TEFL.NET/EnglishClub.com

Ms.Ohuod

حبيت ابين ان هذي النصايح احنا انسويها فعلا في الفصول بين الطلاب.. وانا ما حطيتها كمجرد كلام..وتدريس اللغة الانجليزية كلغة اجنبية ماهو بالشي السهل..لان ما يتم ممارسه اللغة بعد حصة اللغة الانجليزية

انشالله بكمل العشر نصايح الباقية..

Ms.Ohuod

Teaching Tip 11: Error Correction

How:

1. Let the students make mistakes. They need to. We all learn best through making mistakes.
Trial and error is the name of the game.

2. Give the students time to realise they’ve made a mistake and try to correct it themselves. If they
can’t, maybe someone else can help them. If nobody can help then you can either step in and
give the correct form or make a note of it for later.

3. As far as possible, correct mistakes anonymously. Do this by making notes of students’ mistakes
as you monitor (see TT10 for further explanation) then putting them on the board later and
give the students themselves the opportunity to correct them, in pairs or small groups. If no one
knows the right answer, give it to them, but only as a last resort.
Anonymous error correction is a kind way to deal with mistakes. It isn’t important who made the
mistake originally - the point is, can the students all correct it? I tend to doctor the mistakes so that
even the perpetrator doesn’t recognise them as his/her own. For example:
Original error: ‘I have been to Paris last year’. = On the board: ‘I have been to London last week’.

Extra info:
Mistakes are good things and students need to know that they are. I explain like this:
‘Please make lots and lots of mistakes in my lessons - new mistakes, mind you, not the
same old ones over and over. I like mistakes because we can all learn from them and
because if you don’t make any I won’t have a job. If I find a student who doesn’t make any
mistakes in my lesson I will move that student to a higher level class because s/he
obviously isn’t learning anything at this level.
Learning English is like learning to ride a bike - you fall off a lot, but you get the hang of it in
the end. You will make a lot of mistakes but you will be able to communicate effectively in
the end. Very few people become successful international cyclists and the chances are that
even though you can ride a bike you are not a professional cyclist. Very few students reach
mother-tongue (supposedly error-free) level but many students learn to communicate very
well in English in spite of this. You will probably never have error-free English so accept that
you will always make some mistakes - just try to learn from them and learn to live with your
linguistic imperfections.’
When a student makes a mistake it is usually counter-productive to say ‘No!’/’That’s wrong!’/
‘Are you serious?’/ ‘How long did you say you’ve been studying English?’ etc. It’s often kinder
to say ‘Not bad’/’Nearly’/’Good try’/’That’s an interesting mistake’ etc.
Some say that you shouldn’t laugh at student’s mistakes but I often do. They’re often very
funny so why shouldn’t I? I find it breaks the ‘mistakes taboo’ and makes linguistic risks and
disasters an acceptable part of the classroom culture. Students catch on very quickly and we
have a good giggle together when someone messes up.
The ability to correct themselves when they make a mistake is an important one for students to
develop. Encourage it and give them time to correct themselves - don’t jump in immediately to
correct them, keen though you are to prove that you are doing your job. Most students (and
indeed some teachers) seem to think that it is the teacher’s job to correct students’ mistakes but
this is not necessarily so. Yes, teachers can correct their students endlessly but how will that help
the students when they go out into the big wide world - who will be there to correct them then?
It’s much better for the students if they get into the habit of listening to themselves when they
are speaking and correct themselves as they go along. Obviously they won’t be able to
correct all the mistakes they make but they will be able to correct a lot of them.
TEFL.NET/EnglishClub.com

Ms.Ohuod

Teaching Tip 12: Elicting

How:
1. Instead of giving information, ask if anyone in the class can provide it. When a student asks
‘What does this mean?’ or ‘What’s the past of this verb?’ etc. say something like ‘That’s a good
question - what do you think?’ Can you guess? Can anyone help Maria here?’

2. If you want to teach some vocabulary, for instance, then rather than giving it to the students, try
to get them to give it to you. For example: I want to teach the word ‘cow’. I could draw a little picture
on the board. I could explain what a cow is. Or I could elicit the word from the
students along these lines: ‘What do we call/What’s the word for an animal which makes milk
and goes ‘mooo’?! With any luck the students will say ‘cow’. There you go - I’ve elicited the word
‘cow’ from the students. I didn’t say it to them - they said it to me; that’s eliciting.

Why:

1. If you don’t elicit you run the risk of telling the students everything they want to know and ending
up spoon-feeding them (see TT9 - ‘ the Why to avoid doing it’ part for further explanation).

2. Eliciting means getting information from people as opposed to giving it to them - asking,
throwing questions back at the students, in a nutshell.
Extra info:
When I take the register, I always elicit today’s date from the students (‘What’s the date today?’)
because I find that even at high levels students are shockingly bad on dates.
Sometimes students don’t understand the value of eliciting. They think that you’re not doing your
job if you don’t answer their questions. If I have a student like that I tend to explain like this:
‘I know I know the answer but I’m not the one learning English here. What is important is,
do any of you know the answer?’ or ‘Why should I explain again? We did this last week!’
If you try to elicit something and obviously no one knows what you are getting at or they’ve all
forgotten it or they haven’t done their homework then don’t keep on trying to get it out of them.
Flogging a dead horse will get you nowhere and it just embarrasses/irritates the students and
wastes valuable lesson time.
TEFL.NET/EnglishClub.com

بنت رجال

:: عضو برونزي ::

يعطيكم الف عافية وبارك الله فيج استاذتنا المبدعة وكل ادارة منتدي يا كويت

بس بغيت اسأل اذا ماعليج امر ؟؟؟؟

شلون راح تكون الدرجات بالنسبة للصفوف الاولي لمادة اللغة الانجليزية

لانه مثل منتي عارفة هالسنة الملف الانجازي ملغي

Anwar

:: منسق إداري ::

الله يعطيك العافيه استاذه

ومشكوره على الاطراء وماسوينا الا الواجب

كل التوفيق للجميع معلمين وطلاب
سبحان الله وبحمده

Ms.Ohuod

اقتباس:
المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة بنت رجال مشاهدة المشاركة
يعطيكم الف عافية وبارك الله فيج استاذتنا المبدعة وكل ادارة منتدي يا كويت

بس بغيت اسأل اذا ماعليج امر ؟؟؟؟

شلون راح تكون الدرجات بالنسبة للصفوف الاولي لمادة اللغة الانجليزية

لانه مثل منتي عارفة هالسنة الملف الانجازي ملغي
راح احط لج ملف فيه توزيع الدرجات لجميع مراحل الابتدائي

وبالتوفيق عزيزتي

الملفات المرفقة
نوع الملف: rar modified_grades_12345.rar‏ (426.1 كيلوبايت, المشاهدات 83)

Ms.Ohuod

اكمل اليوم النصائح حق تعليم اللغة الانجليزية كلغة اجنبية..

Teaching Tip 13: Checking Together

How:
1. When the students have finished doing an activity on their own, put them in pairs or small groups
and tell them to check their answers together.

2. Tell the students that if the answers are the same, they are probably correct but if they are
different they need to explain/justify their choice of answer to their partner - in English! They can
change their answers if they like.

Why:
1. It’s a good idea to let the students check their answers together before feeding back to the
the teacher because it gives them the chance to rub out/cross out any glaring errors before
the teacher sees and thus avoid looking stupid in front of the class.

2. If a student hasn’t a clue about some of the answers it’s reassuring to find out that their partner
hasn’t the foggiest either. The students realise they are not alone. They can also copy their
partners answers (if their partner has some that they don’t) but their partner might not be right!

3. Peer teaching is considered a good thing in the world of EFL. Peers are equals. So in
this case a students peers are a student’s fellow classmates. Working together and checking work
together is a form of peer teaching. This means that instead of the know-it-all (and/or) mothertongue teacher always teaching them, the students can teach each other (by explaining
grammar points, correcting pronunciation, explaining new words and phrases etc). The beauty
of it is that the students are all equal to each other and are in the same boat, linguistically speaking.
TEFL.NET/EnglishClub.com

Ms.Ohuod

Teaching Tip 14: Reading before Writing

How:

1. Tell the students to read the whole exercise first before writing anything. (This will be
unbelievably hard for some students to do).

2. Once they’ve read it all, let them begin doing the exercise.

Why:
1. It’s a good idea to read the whole exercise before starting to write anything because sometimes
more than one answer is possible but, in the exercise the students are doing, only one answer is
the right one.
For example: (a gap fill with these possible answers) take photos buy souvenirs
I always _______________ when I am on holiday because they help me to remember it.
(Could be either answer! But not if you’ve read the whole exercise first because you know that
one of the later sentences is:
I _____ a lot of _____ on my last holiday because I had a new camera.
This is true not only for my worksheets but also for the Cambridge exams such as
First Certificate and as a useful strategy in exams in general.

2. Another reason is that the students can answer the questions they know the answer to and guess
the rest (from a smaller selection because they’ve used some of the answers already and so
have a higher percentage chance of guessing the right answer). A process of elimination.
Extra info:
Exam students are strongly advised to read everything before putting pen to paper for the
reasons stated above. Apart from anything else it gives them more context to help them.
TEFL.NET/EnglishClub.com
إضافة رد

يشاهدون الموضوع : 1 ( عضو0 زائر 1)

أدوات الموضوع

الانتقال السريع